Re: Progress: opposed to innovation?

Michael A. Peters wrote:
> I think there is a general problem in Fedora of defaulting to bloated
> big software packages.

Thanks for the list of music players, by the way.

I think it's more a problem of a "something for everyone" distribution.
There might even be room in the default install for a "bells and
whistles" / "small and clean" switch.

Because when Fedora chooses a default application that is easy to use at
the expense of advanced functionality (the Red Hat "lokkit" simple
firewall configurator or Epiphany for example), they get complaints that
"you can't do such and such a (usually advanced) task with it, and it's
not up to the job".

When they choose a bells and whistles app, they get the "bloated"
complaints.

Usually, they ship both versions anyway...

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Banana in disk drive error
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |