Progress: opposed to innovation?

    I promise you, this is not intended as a troll or rant.  I just need
to vent a little here, maybe it'll help.

    New to a fresh install of FC3 on the same machine that's been
running Linux (and only Linux) for 4-5 years, I bring up RB, the new
default I'm told will be staying with Fedora development, not the age-
old XMMS that worked so well.  First I have to tell it what to play, or
I'll be listening to the same song(s) all the time.  I tell it to
open /shares/Music where I keep several hundred titles, and three hours
later, it's still stepping it's way through the list.  I kill it, part
stays behind and keeps the CPU usage at 100%, mysteriously.  When it
eventually gets done, it will *still* play the same song twice in a row,
despite shuffle being turned on.

    Similarly, Galeon is shunned by Fedora development and I'm trying to
adapt. Sure, there's only one 'kill window' button, but in time I'll
forget my old finger-habits and pick up the new ones; this doesn't seem
to be something they'll bring to Firefox.  Neither does having a start
page, and opening with a _blank_ page until you ask for it.

    So maybe I should check mail.  Evolution's new- let's see what's
been added:  Connector. (Great if I'm ever sentenced to a workplace with
Windows, there must be more) Well, they've moved things around, the 'map
it' fuction's still not there, musta been some _other_ version of 2.0 it
was intended to be introduced in.  The fonts are uglier....nothing much
else changed.

    OpenOffice is still there.  My whimpy AMD 1300 isn't up to the
challenge tonight, and I don't feel like waiting for it (which is why I
don't use it) so I'll just remove those icons. Besides, Mom hates it
when I dim the lights.

    At least I can set up my PGP stuff, no?  Uh, no.  "gpa" isn't part
of the distro...and Evolution forgot how to import that data from the
last version.  Nope; time to build packages.

    Tell me something; are we increasing or decreasing technology as
time goes by?  Why'd I install FC3 again?  Oh, that's right- so I'd be
able to get updates, unlike my RH9 box which hasn't seen an update in
weeks.

    OK, yeah, it's a gripe.  Features taken away, options limited, can
we stop changing the tectonic plates of Linux to develop at the
application level for a change, and NOT have to reload-and-relearn twice
a year?  I admire and respect the changes going on under the hood; I
really do.  We've now taken Unix to the furthest reaches _beyond_ AT&T's
imagination.  But isn't it gonna be hard to sell it to someone, knowing
they'll have to rebuild their environment all the time?

    Sorry- every once in a while my mild-manners pill wears off.  I'll
go take another dose.