Re: Picking the right harwared to run FC3 on.

My .02 -

I agree, I have seen people have good luck with FC on Dell inspirons.
That was a while back (RH9/FC1) so it should be even better by now.
As far as some of the other questions, check out
www.linuxhomenetworking.com.  It is a good site for guiding some of
the decisions you are talking about.

Also for the firewall, you don't need all of that horsepower, you can
actually set up something like a pentium 100 with the linux loaded on
a floppy drive or something like that, and save your 'real' boxes for
something more solid.  You could double it up as a web server and
firewall if you want.   OR you could get a junky box from
freecycle.com or somewhere like that, as your firewall, and put your
web server inside the lan.  Then do additional filtering and security
scanning on the server.  2 layers are better than one.

Another thing:  if you are planning  on diving into linux then you
might consider staggering releases.  In other words, run multiple
versions of FC on differrent boxes and when a new release comes out,
if you have problems, you still always have one up and running at all
times.  Also dual booting with winblows is not a problem, you have
tons of space to play with, but due to their fascist installer
application, you have to load THEIR cruddy os first or else it will
overwrite you linux install.  I recommend cutting the cord with
windows though, anything windows will do linux will do*

HTH,
Marc
*exceptions:  Blue Screen of Death, myriad out of the box security
holes, a built in cruddy browser with additional security holes,
forced upgrades, random unseen patches, expensive licensing, virus
vulnerabilities out the wazoo, incredibly inflexible desktop
configuration, actual/percieved vendor snooping in your machine,
uncontrollable bogging down, stupid proprietary apps that you can't
control or stop, etc. etc...