Samba client in Fedora Core 3 is slow

I have a no-domain network with some Mac OS X stations, some PC and I am using FC3 to access the shares. In a fresh installation of FC3, I see that browsing the shares through Computer / Network /Windows network /... or in Nautilus directly though smb:///... is very slow. I thought it might be IPv6 or DNS problem, so I switched IPv6 off, with no progress.

FTP access to the same Mac OS X machine's shares give big speed, as required. But Samba is too slow... Even giving a list of files is a slow process. All shares use login/password. Is there any problem with encrypted or not encrypted passwords?

Timothy.