Re: CD burning doesn't work - scsi emulation?..

On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 12:54:51AM +1300, Morgan Read wrote:
> Hi List,
> CD burning has never worked for me with fc2.  I suspect something is set
> up wrong with scsi emulation, but haven't been able to figure it out.
>
> Symptoms:
> +fc2's "CD Creator"-
> 	-I only get a "file image" destination to write to
>
> +So, I installed X-CD-Roast to see if I got better mileage-
> 	-It shows two drives in 'setup':
> 		--one with a 'reader icon' - device id=[1,0,0], vendor=QSI,
> Model=DVD/CDRW SBW-081, Rev.=NXC5;
> 		--one with a 'writer icon' - device id=[ATAPI:0,0,0],
> 		vendor=QSI, Model=DVD/CDRW SBW-081, Rev.=NXC5
>
> +If I use the writer I get a warning about using an ATAPI drive (and
> some directions to a faq I've not found - see below).  If I double click
> on either drive, I get warnings about fatal problems.
>
> +If I add a drive manual at /def/hdc, the device isn't found...
>

> From what I can tell I need to set up SCSI emulation (correctly, but
> may be not with 2.6 kernel?).  I've not found much concise info on this.
>  Something said to enter the drive manualy (as /dev/hdc); another thing
> said to add 'hdc=scsi-ide' to grub.conf; and something else said to add
> something to modprobe.conf.  I've tried the xcdroast faq with little
> info, and the cdrecord website doesn't look very helpful ('nuff said),
> and a search of redhat's site doesn't throw up much.
>
> Can any one help, or point me in a direction where I might find some
> help?  Happy to file a bug, but not sure it is?
> --
> Morgan Read
> <mailto:mstuffATplDOTnet>
With xcdroast I also get this message that SCSI emulation should be
used. I have followed the directions and could not make it work. I
just leave it as an ATAPI drive and the writing of CD's work without
problem. Use Create CD -> master tracks . After you chose the files
you want to write then choose the files to write, then use create
session image and write on the fly.

	Somewhat alarmed at the continued growth of the number of employees
on the Department of Agriculture payroll in 1962, Michigan Republican Robert
Griffin proposed an amendment to the farm bill so that "the total number of
employees in the Department of Agriculture at no time exceeds the number of
farmers in America."
		-- Bill Adler, "The Washington Wits"
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science