Re: Can't Read VPD Keys (nForce3 Problem)

Yes, this is a BIOS problem. But the motherboard makers (ASUS and Shuttle) don't sense any urgency to fix it if it works OK in Windows.

Currently, what I am doing is turning off the syslog daemon. This is probably too dramatic, but is there anyway to ask FC not to check the VPD key?

James Wilkinson wrote:

Amy M wrote:

However, in checking the dmesg file, I found the following repeated error message:

eth0: -- ERROR --
     Class:  internal Software error
     Nr:  0x19e
     Msg:  Vpd: Cannot read VPD keys

In /etc/syslog.conf, there are the following two lines:
| # Everybody gets emergency messages
| *.emerg                                                 *

What happens if you comment out the second line? Or, better still,
change the last asterisk to something like /var/log/emerg ? (And
truncate that file occasionally?)

This is only a workaroung. It's not a fix. But it looks like the bug is
in the BIOS, at a quick glance.

James.