Re: printing recto verso

On Friday 10 December 2004 12:02, Jeff Kinz wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 05:41:10PM +0100, hicham wrote:
>> Hello,
>>   this may appear out of subject, I would like to
>> print a  postscript document of 170 pages recto verso
>> for the sake of economy in a simple Hp laserjet 1100
>> printer.
>
>Its not clear to me exactly what you want here.  What is "recto
> verso" in English?
>
>I'm guessing that you want to do double sided printing (print opn
> both sides of a piece of paper) and the printer you have does not
> have that capability.
>
>I have done this in the far distant past.  I used a shell script and
>postscript utilities to generate two print commands that each
> generated print jobs with every other page, one with even pages,
> one with odd pages.  You than have to collect the output of the
> first job (odd pages) flip the stack over and print the second
> job(even pages).
>
>I have forgotten which postcript utilities allow you to do this,
> but that is the general idea.

The majority of the printing tools available for linux these days
do allow that to be setup and done.  I regularly do this with both
acroread and xpdf, and I think even ggv can do it.  Some even give
you the choiuce of doing it in reverse order, needed I believe for
printers that turn the paper over internally, as the front loaders
do otherwise you have to re-sort the output stack.  Top loaders do
not.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)