Re: Intel SATA RAID (ICH5R)

lee connell wrote:
> I have intel sata raid (ich5r).  I have it configured two 80gig drives as a
> stripe.  I install fedora 3 perfectly fine with no problems, I let fc3
> format and partition the drives in which it chooses a logical volume.
> After installation is complete and i reboot, the system hangs at a blank
> screen displaying "GRUB:"  i can't type at the prompt or anything.  If i
> tell the bios not to use raid, it will boot-up fine, so far i havn't
> checked again yet but it has hung on enabling swap, not sure if it got past
> it yet or not. Any suggestions?

To be honest, I'm surprised it gets that far. Intel's RAID isn't real
RAID and isn't supposed to work in Linux.

See http://linux.yyz.us/sata/faq-sata-raid.html

You're going to be using Linux's software RAID anyway, so leave the BIOS
in non-RAID mode and stick to Fedora's implementation.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "[the computer] belonged to our Rabid NT Guy, and we
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | called it Kant partly because we were naming servers