Re: saving RAM questions

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Matt Morgan wrote:

> I know about turning off daemons that aren't important. I've turned
> off all but the most essential, although it doesn't make that much
> difference after the first few, really. I know about the light
> desktops like XFCE, but we want to stick with Gnome or KDE in this
> case. Is there anything else big I'm missing--any other important way
> to save on RAM?

Turning of nautilus and other things that are not required but are enabled
by default on the desktop. You may wish to remove the fancy background and
keep a simple color (black ?). Also take a light theme (I'm using
Industrial for the controls, and OutlineWinter for the Window Borders
which made a real difference compared to Bluecurve).

It would be interesting if you could keep a list of things that worked for
you, put them on a website and publish it here. So people can use your
work to build on and inform you of new techniques.

Also adding a list of similar pages with the same goals would be
interesting.

Let me know what you find and if you decide to publish something based on
your findings !

Kind regards,
--   dag wieers,  dag@xxxxxxxxxx,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --