Re: DSL

Am Mi, den 08.12.2004 schrieb EGoldcp1@xxxxxxx um 11:20:

> I  live in Germany at the moment and I use T-DSL. I have a FritzBOx Sl modem
> unit.  (DSL) My connection from the  FritzBox (modem) is over Lan connection.
>  And everything works great.  But when I wanted to get Linux up and running I
> just can’t seem to get it  going.  I have tried everything it  says to do but
> it just won’t work.

I don't know the FritzBox SI (there are meanwhile so many AVM hardware
devices available), but if it simply acts as the DSL modem and does not
the dial-in (authentication) itself, you then will have to make a PPPoE
connection with Fedora. Use system-config-network and setup xDSL.

> I  have AOL as my Internet provider but it doesn’t seem to recognize AOL.
> Linux worked fine with my dial up  modem.  Maybe I need to install USB
> connection as well or will this interfere with my Lan connection.  I don’t want to
> make any mistakes with  my Windows DSL because it works just fine.  So any help
> would be much appreciated. I just need to know step by step  how to install DSL
> for LINUX.  Thanking you in advance.
> Ted

As AOL user you _must_ set MSS to 1400, else no traffic will happen. To
do so edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0 and set

CLAMPMSS=1400

To when setting up the xDSL activate "synchron PPP".

You will too have to care for specific with username and password. As
you are German please see

1)
http://www.heise.de/ct/faq/result.xhtml?url=/ct/faq/hotline/04/17/13.shtml&words=aol
2)
http://www.heise.de/ct/faq/result.xhtml?url=/ct/faq/hotline/03/26/01.shtml&words=aol

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 11:54:40 up 2 days, 11:16, load average: 0.62, 0.46, 0.44