Re: What happened to cvsd?

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 03:52:33AM +0100, Thomas wrote:
> Ed Wilts wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 01:23:09AM +0100, Thomas wrote:
> >
> >>i tried to setup a cvs server recently and noticed that there is no cvsd
> >>to be found in the fedora repos.
> >>
> >In about 10 seconds, a google search for "cvsd fc3" pointed me to:
> >http://atrpms.net/dist/fc3/cvsd/
> >It's the *first* result returned.
> >
> Oh, i see, i admit i could have done some more research first.

Yup :-)

> Is it generally ok to ask such stupid questions here?

Yup again.  We like it if you do a little research first since it taxes
our brains a little more.

> Maybe i could use a place to ask questions of a much more simple kind.
> (like what do i have to type to mount smb share for example)
> Is there something like a 'beginners' mailing list?

The problem with some of the beginners lists is that there are no
experts on them to answer the questions.  A list with a wider audience
accomplishes several things:
1.  You get experts as well as beginners and everything in between
2.  The beginners can learn by reading some of the answers
3.  There's the occasional flame but ignore them
4.  You may think it's a beginner question when it's not.  Conversely,
even people with RHCE's (like me) occasionally ask questions with an
obvious answer - it's just not obvious at the time.

There's a lot of difference between a stupid question and a beginner
question though.  Do a bit of research first and tell us some of the
things you tried (like you did saying you at least searched some
repositories) and that goes a long way to somebody giving you an answer.
I've seen some really stupid questions and sometimes people will just
ignore them.  Of course, I've seen really hard questions and people can
ignore them too because nobody else knows the answer either.

        .../Ed (who started off knowing nothing too)
--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA