Re: Procmail problems - dovecot and postfix

Am Mi, den 08.12.2004 schrieb Chris Mason um 2:21:

> I decided to go with postfix and dovecot to solve my imap server overlaod
> problems. They arte mcuh fast, no doubt about it, and install easily.
> However, when I install procmail, which I use for all my mail filtering, I
> can't get delivery to mailboxes, with the exception of the INBOX.
>
> Here's the basic .procmailrc
>
> 	MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir
>
> 	#Set on when debugging
> 	VERBOSE=yes
>
> 	#Directory for storing procmail log and rc files
> 	PMDIR=$HOME/.procmail
>
> 	LOGFILE=$PMDIR/log
>
> 	# Send everything to default
> 	:0
> 	$MAILDIR/
>
> And this works fine. The procmail log say

Different topic regarding procmail, but you should really use a
"DEFAULT" definition.

> procmail: Notified comsat:
> "masonc@0:/home/masonc/Maildir/new/1102459927.1751_0.munster.mason.home"
>
> Howver, if I change the lst line to
>
> 	$MAILDIR/.ChrisMail
>
> The procmail log says
> procmail: Notified comsat:
> "masonc@0:/home/masonc/Maildir/.ChrisMason/msg.llvS"
> And creates a file that is not recognized by the imap server.

> Chris Mason

The solution is trivial. While with your first example the storage
target was correct for Maildir storage: $HOME/Maildir/, which is
$HOME/Maildir from the MAILDIR variable definition at top and with first
recipe adding the trailing slash to it (:0 \ $MAILDIR/).
Now where you changed the recipe from $MAILDIR/ to $MAILDIR/.ChrisMail,
the trailing slash is missing. And this one is essential! It tells
procmail to store the mail in Maildir format and not, as it happened
where you claim the fault, in mbox format (msg.IIvS is an mbox file).

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 02:58:25 up 2 days, 2:20, load average: 0.25, 0.26, 0.20