Re: FC2 -> FC3 upgrade question

Am Mi, den 08.12.2004 schrieb James Wilkinson um 1:04:

> Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > This is a Fedora user list and if you like any other distribution more
> > than Fedora share your fever on it's list or forum. Sorry, it simply
> > s*cks to read your "Debian here, Debian there".
>
> Alexander, I very rarely disagree with you, but I think you're being a
> little harsh.

Yes, I just didn't know how to express my impressions and feelings any
better without stepping into a "holy distribution war". It should have
been a short but clear statement for my position.

> I've taken a look at Mr. Summerfield's postings during December. There
> are times when he is a little abrasive, but that's another matter which
> has been discussed elsewhere.
>
> Yes, he mentions Debian a lot, but he is always on topic: sometimes they
> *do* do things better. Sometimes the comparison is worthwhile.

I agree here too, most cases where he praises Debian or Ubuntu are
"borderline" cases (nothing psychiatric meant). But that would be worst
if someone plays devil's advocte for Debian here on the Fedora list
without any relation to content of questions and problems, wouldn't it?
I would really like to answer you, James, in details, but that would
certainly lead into a debate about the good and bad points of Debian and
Fedora (and maybe any other Linux distribution). That would lead to
nothing valuable.

> I haven't seen John plug Debian for the sake of it, only when he feels
> that it might fit the user better than Fedora.
>
> Of course, Fedora is not necessarily the best distribution for every
> purpose, otherwise you wouldn't write messages like
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-November/msg02979.html
> (correctly) stating that if one wants a longer lifetime, one can look to
> RHEL or one of the recompiled versions.

I don't contradict. But there were quite some cases where we could read
from John that "Ubuntu is so easy to install, easier than Fedora",
"Ubuntu has so much packages, try it" - no quotation, just from head! -
"I run Debian with XY" and "on Debian I do it this way".
Yes, I did a full search through the stored mails of this list for "John
Summerfield + Debian" matches (48 mails since Nov.) and did reread them.

> Or is there something I'm missing?
>
> Personally, I feel Unix users should know when they're using something
> vendor-specific: that way they can expect it to break when they switch
> vendors. I use Fedora because it is a very good implementation of Linux
> and Unix.[1]

But there are other places to discuss or advocate for such things. This
is "Fedora land", if you don't mind that I express it this way. Or would
you like to read frequently comments like "use OpenBSD, it is so much
more secure", "you are German? then use SuSE as it it has best German
language support"? Me not. Same for Debian here, Ubuntu there. Maybe
just my own special taste.
Of course there is no need to suppress a comparison of Fedora with other
Linux distributions or UNIX® flavours. But I think a catholic in a
protestant church, commenting all the way over divine service and the
protestant church and faith in contrast to the one of his believe, he
would too be asked to discuss his different feelings at a different
place.
Sorry, I am a bit limited to express myself the right way in English.
Those who subscribed here and post have an interest in Fedora, certainly
many with former Red Hat Linux experience by usage. They decided to use
it. Let us solve their problems and partly speak about aspects where we
could improve Fedora. Though last is certainly better be discussed on
the developer list.

> James.

Regards

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 02:45:59 up 2 days, 2:08, load average: 0.09, 0.15, 0.14