network printer probs in fc3 vs fc2

I have an identical physical system swaping out only the harddisk between fc2 and fc3:
network printer hp laserjet 4mplus directly attached to netgear ps101
printserver and then to ethernet 10/100 lan.
in fc2 generic postscript driver works using cups with no problems.
in fc3 kernel 2.6.9-1.667  no way! no matter what I try, ie, not
found using a browser, nor gui print conf, nor localhost:631  etc
in fc3 connection to internet is up and running, everything else ok
using ping to connect to printserver is ok
but scan of all ports in printserver shows none are open!
I'm a newb at a total loss!
TIA
    Steve
  sola doctor com