Re: software raid and grub on FC3

John Summerfield wrote:
On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 08:21 -0600, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:

Use LILO instead. If you choose LILO as your boot loader during

lilo is deprecated and so likely to not be in fc4.

Hmmm... Too bad. Grub is nice, but for simple things such as servers, it is total overkill. IMHO, LILO is much more suitable for that kind of environment.

BTW, while we are at servers and Grub vs LILO, has anybody here attempted to use Grub on serial console? Is that possible at all, and how usable it is?

While Grub has more options and is more configurable it is also much more complex. If you don't know anything about LILO, man page will get you going in couple of minutes. If you don't know anything about Grub, you are likely to spend much more time reading man pages and Googling around, before you will be able to make simple configuration and place Grub on the boot sector (provided you are doing this by hand, not by letting Anaconda or RPM postinstall scripts do "dirty" job for you).

It is possible to install grub on both disks of mirror RAID - Google is
your friend.

Yes, I know that. Actually, I had a script that I was using to fix the problem automatically during kickstart postinstall phase. Before I decided that Grub is overkill for what I needed, and went back to using LILO. It was simply that I noticed I never ever used any of advanced features of Grub, and that LILO was better fit for the job in my case.

--
Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic@xxxxxx>    Pollard Banknote Limited