From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Andrew Choens
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 12:59 PM
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: MySQL

Any mysql nuts out there?

I have a laptop with FC3 freshly installed on it.  I am trying to get
mysql to work on the laptop.  I chose FC3 for the laptop even though I
knew it did not use the latest release from mysql.  I installed Fedora,
but NOT mysql from the CDs.  I then went to the mysql homepage and
downloaded the newest 4.1 release.  I grabbed the server, the
libs/headers, the shared-compat and the client binaries.  I even
downloaded MyODBC.  I installed everything with rpm. RPM returned no
errors.  I made sure the daemon was running, and then used the
mysql_install_db command as root as I was instructed to do by rpm.  Then
I went on and installed the new mysql administrator and query tools.
I'll admit, they are half the reason I want mysql on this computer.

Unfortunately, right now, whenever I try to use those tools, or the
command line client, mysql, I get a socket error.  When I boot up mysql
gives a greenlight and seems to be up and running according to my logs,
but I can't get it to actually give me a response.  The error I get is
this.

/usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket:
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' exists!

the file /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock does NOT exist.  I've never had this
problem before, and can't find anything in the documentation to fix it.
In the course of playing with different versions, sometimes I'll get the
same error, only the number (2) is replaced by (11).

I've tried downgrading to the default 3.23 (or whatever the exact # is)
and I'm getting the same error.  I would like to use the newer version,
but I would REALLY like to be able to connect to the database here on my
localhost.  I've installed mysql 4.x on other computers, using the
binaries from mysql and I've never had this problem on SUSE or FC2.  If
anyone has any ideas, I sure would like to hear them.  I'm NOT a real
systems admin, I just pretend to be one at work (I'm the closest we
have).

I want to use this laptop as a development platform for a simple
database to keep client info on.  I work from my home quite a bit, so I
made my development platform a laptop.  I can't connect to mysql locally
or over the network at home or on the network at work.  Everything else
on the computer is running great.

Thanks
andy