Re: Ditching FC3... for now =(

Satish Balay wrote:

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Lotsa Cabo wrote:

Did you try the 'clock=pit' boot option - from this reference?. Did it not
make a difference?

--> No, I have not tried it because I cannot get the OS up, and work with
it, well enough to make the change. If it takes over three hours for it to
boot, then working in the OS is going to be muuuuuch too painful to make a
change while it's up.

3 hours to boot is way too long. I don't know what the reason could be. Did you allocate sufficient memory for the VM? What CPU do you have? How much memory did you allocate for the VM?

But to use the above option at boot time - you can do the following:

- power cycle
- when you see the prompt -'booting Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.681_FC3) in 5 sec...'
press 'e' for edit. - if you get a menu with various kernel options again - press 'e' edit again

- Now go to the line which says: something like:
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.681_FC3 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
  change it to:
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.681_FC3 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet clock=pit

- Now press 'enter' to save your changes
- now press 'b' to boot.

Satish

This may be a stupid question and/or has been brought up before, but is there virus protection running on Windows XP? If so, this will definately slow down the speed of the VM.