Re: FC3: kernel panic on first boot

John Swartzentruber wrote:

You can search this newsgroup at http://search.gmane.org/, either search for your problem or search for my address to get my initial message about this problem.

Can you point me at any docs that guide me through this process?

Not really. I'm a real newbie at all this stuff. I just did extensive googling. Look at the man page for mkinitrd. Google for it as well. I found some stuff when I googled for mkinitrd and sata_sil (although it turns out I really wanted sata_via). You should be able to boot from your Rescue CD. When you do, it should flash up a window when it loads your SATA driver. Notice which drive it is loading because that is the one you need.

What gets me is that I can boot into rescue mode and the kernel on the DVD loads the drivers just fine!

I've actually booted into rescue mode, chroot'ed to /mnt/sysimage and run the services manually so things are back up until I fix the kernel issue. I had to do the following before running any services:

# start_udev
# mount /dev/pts
# mount /dev/shm

I think I then ran /etc/rc 3 to start everything that would normally start in runlevel 3

I created a new image using mkinitrd (i.e., did *not* overwrite the one that was there). I created a new entry in my grub.conf and used the new image.

OK, I'll give that a go.

I also noticed that my modprobe.conf file was missing things after upgrading, which might have been the original problem.

Such as? What should modprobe.conf look like? Mine just contains one line:

# Note: for use under 2.4, changes must also be made to modules.conf!
alias char-major-89-* i2c-dev

However, there is a modprobe.conf.dist file which has 165 lines. Should I copy this to modprobe.conf?

I don't know. I think I compared it with modprobe.conf.anacbak, which I assume was my previous file. There is a possibility that this relates to a different problem.

Possibly.

I live in hope of a new kernel rpm release that will fix the problem for me! :)

R.