Re: FC3: kernel panic on first boot

On 12/2/2004 9:50 AM Robin Bowes wrote:

John Swartzentruber wrote:

Look through the archives.

I have - I can't find anything relevant. The archive search facility at redhat.com doesn't seem to return any useful results.

You can search this newsgroup at http://search.gmane.org/, either search for your problem or search for my address to get my initial message about this problem.

I fixed it by building a new initrd file that included the driver for my SATA controller.

Can you point me at any docs that guide me through this process?

Not really. I'm a real newbie at all this stuff. I just did extensive googling. Look at the man page for mkinitrd. Google for it as well. I found some stuff when I googled for mkinitrd and sata_sil (although it turns out I really wanted sata_via). You should be able to boot from your Rescue CD. When you do, it should flash up a window when it loads your SATA driver. Notice which drive it is loading because that is the one you need.

I created a new image using mkinitrd (i.e., did *not* overwrite the one that was there). I created a new entry in my grub.conf and used the new image.

I also noticed that my modprobe.conf file was missing things after upgrading, which might have been the original problem.

Such as? What should modprobe.conf look like? Mine just contains one line:

# Note: for use under 2.4, changes must also be made to modules.conf!
alias char-major-89-* i2c-dev

However, there is a modprobe.conf.dist file which has 165 lines. Should I copy this to modprobe.conf?

I don't know. I think I compared it with modprobe.conf.anacbak, which I assume was my previous file. There is a possibility that this relates to a different problem.