Re: How to disable ipchains for sshd

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 06:41:59 -0500, John Aldrich <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It appears that the default firewall rules in FC3 /deny/ ssh access to the
> system. How do I go about writing rules to permit ssh access? I have maybe 3
> or four IP addresses that need to be able to log into my linux box, other
> than that, no one else needs to be able to access it.
>  Thanks...
>  John

afaik, you can select, during installation, to allow ssh traffic
through the firewall.
to do it after installation, one would tipically run

iptables -I INPUT -p tcp -s <source_ip> --dport 22 -j ACCEPT

to allow ssh traffic from <source_ip> to the local box. you can run
this more than one time with a different ip address each time to allow
access from multiple addresses. to save this configuration so that it
persists after a reboot, you also need to do

service iptables save

hth,
andrei