Re: Can't view audio CD

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 16:36 -0600, akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 06:30:47AM -0800, Timothy Payne wrote:
> > Genome won't display the contents of an audio CD.  I also can't play any
> > CD's, the players correctly ID the CD and contents but no sound.  I can
> > use mplayer from the command line to play files from the hard drive, but
> > not the CD.  Is this correct for FC3 for my fstab?
> >
> > # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
> > LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults
> > 1 1
> > LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults
> > 1 2
> > /dev/hdb1		/mnt/win98		auto 	defaults 	0 0
> > none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620
> > 0 0
> > none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults
> > 0 0
> > none                    /proc                   proc    defaults
> > 0 0
> > none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults
> > 0 0
> > /dev/hda3               swap                    swap    defaults
> > 0 0
> > /dev/hdc                /media/cdrecorder       auto
> > pamconsole,ro,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
> > /dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto
> > pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
> >
> > I did an upgrade from FC2
> >
> > Tim...
> There are three things you need to try:
> 1. run: alamixer and be sure the CD channels have a high enough output.
> They seem to default to 0.
It was with volume control in FC2 but now I get a text based control
panel and do not see it in any menu, but the volumes are up alsamixer is
v1.0.6
> 2, Go to RedHat-> Sound and Video -> Volume control.
All up and OK
> 3. If gnome-cd (which I find flaky in FC) still does not p0lay the CD
> I would try grip. If that works you make that the default by going to
> Preferences -> CD properties.
Grip works, the only one I didn't try, but it won't open grip when the
CD is inserted.  On the desktop audio disc pops up but when I went to
properties and tried to add grip it said it couldn't add it to the
database.
> Or be a little more specific about what happens when you try to play
> the CD.
Nothing would happen, no sound, the progress bar didn't move, or the EQ
levels.  But it's odd that it won't let me view the contents, just says
audio CD 0 files, or on the desktop I click on it and nothing happens
except the sound I get when I open something only it won't open.
Something must have broken with an update.

So grip it is, I don't play many CD's anyway and it works.

Thanks
Tim...