Re: Totem on FC3

On 12/01/2004 12:07:37 PM, Mostafa Z. Afgani wrote:

Dear all,

I am aware of the fact the totem shipped with FC3 uses Gstreamer instead
of xine .. now, has anyone had any success using it? It's pretty useless
by itself since it can't even handle MPEG files .. so I got some plugins
from:

http://mpeters.us/linux/fc3_gstreamer.php

with these plugins in place totem just keeps segfaulting..

I believe the problem is with gstreamer-ffmpeg
Either that rpm, or one if its dependencies, I'm guessing was compiled with an athlon optimization that Intel doesn't like - of people who have let me know my rpm doesn't work for them, so far that's a common factor - intel cpu.

I don't have a intel box to check my suspicion, but I did a clean install on a test partition on my AMD box and it worked flawlessly (well, there was jumpiness in the progress bar, but I watch the video - not the progress bar ;)

After the weekend, I'm going to read the configure output and the readmes with gstreamer-ffmpeg and see if there was a flag I should have used to turn off cpu dependent optimizations.

I'm going to *try* and obtain a decent PII or PIII box to test my suspicion.