Re: unable to run the GUI program from the remote Linux server

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 15:57 -0800, Ting-Yuan Liu wrote:

Hi,

I upgraded to the Fedora 3 several days ago, and I found that there is a problem when I try to use any GUI programs from a Linux server.

What I did is:

1) ssh to the server under the terminal

2) run the GUI programs, e.g xdvi

3) get the error message:  Error: Can't open display:

This is funny because the program will show up when I was using Fedora 2.

I try the same thing under Knoppix, and it works.

Therefore, it is not the problem in the Linux server.

It means that there is some bugs (?) in Fedora 3, or we have to change the setting.

Can anyone help me to solve this problem please? Thanks.

Try running ssh with the -Y argument:

ssh -Y user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thomas

I think the option you're looking for is -X.

Thanks-
-dant