RE: FC3 stable enough for production web server?

On Mit, 2004-12-01 at 10:18 -0500, Jeff McKeon wrote:
> Sean, yes I'm aware of the shorter lifecycle.  How is the reliability of
> upgrading Fedora systems when a new core comes out?  Fairly painless or
> a lot of reconfiguring?

It is almost painless but they usually include one big change with every
release that causes problems. Last time this was udev.

> We're a startup company with a very tight budget.  If I can avoid
> spending money on an OS it helps a lot.

Saving money for the OS is a good thing but you should consider hiring
someone to set up your system. Every professional will have his or her
favorite distribution and should be able to tell you (biased of course)
how it compares to other distributions. For my part I am comfortable
with any distribution (Fedora, Debian, Slackware, Rock, Gentoo,
Mandrake) except SuSE. For a server I would recommend Debian but Fedora
is also suitable and can be reasonably used on desktop systems too.

Tom

--
  T h o m a s   Z e h e t b a u e r   ( TZ251 )
  PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89

Windows 98 supports real multitasking - it can boot and crash simultaneously.