PAM and USB devices

I'm seeking information on the proper way (in Fedora) to deal with getting PAM to authenticate users for usb devices.

In particular, I'm talking about the Ti Silverlink cable for Ti Graphing Calculators. Fedora already comes with the kernel module, the software already works with a serial cable (if you set up /etc/ security/console.perms to give the serial device to the console user) - serial cable doesn't require a kernel module (anymore, it use to)

The problem I'm having with the software (TiLP) and USB isn't just limited to authentication, but that is a hurdle I'll need to overcome once I get it to work with the root user (which it currently does not).

The device node part is easy - same procedure as serial ports.
Problem is that the software also (for some reason) wants the user to have permission to write (according to the error log anyway) to /proc/ bus/usb/devices - that I don't think can be properly overcome with pam console, and if it can - I would be scared to do so because that looks way too generic to let the console user write to it, so maybe it's the software that is broken - but maybe I'm not understanding how user space apps are suppose to talk to usb devices?

I'm not the TiLP developer, just someone trying to get it to work w/ usb in FC3 - and having little success (I did get it work ONCE as root in FC2)

--
Cheap Linux CD's
http://mpeters.us/linux/