Squirrelmail Tweaks? Anyone?

Does anyone have any tips on optimising squirrelmail?

It's running DoveCot IMAP as the backend.

I've changed the php.ini a bit, but not enough to actually warrant that
it's solid.

Was hoping that someone on the list can offer some pointers.

BTW, dovecot vs Cyrus IMAP, which one is better? I'm using dovecot right
now cos it's easy to set up, but I'm not sure if it will be able to
handle load for say...1000+ users.