Re: Very odd: 30 seconds after FC3 boots, d-link firewall locks up & needs reset!

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 21:03 -0600, Randy wrote:
> Hello Wayne,
>     Explicit Congestion Notification was disabled.  I put it in the
> sysctl.conf file anyway, and rebooted.  Same problem.  :-(
>
>     I watched the timing a lot more closely this time, and narrowed the
> timing to within the start of about a dozen services.  One is
> mDNSResponder.  When I ran a restart on this one, everything went
> crazy.  The notes on this one say "This is a daemon which runs on Howl
> clients to perform Zeroconf service discovery on a network.  mDNSResponder
> must be running on systems that use Howl for service discovery."  Using
> google, it sounds like this is to allow discovery of network services even
> when there is no DNS server or anything else that would provide this
> information.
>
>     It sure made the firewall howl.  I've disabled it and all seems fine
> now.  I have a DHCP server, DNS server, and SAMBA server running on my
> internal network.  mDNSResponder isn't needed here.
>
>    Thanks for the help.  Without your email, I'd probably not have
> documented timing/services/etc well enough to spot the problem!  :-)
>
> Randy

Hi Randy,

Well, I'm glad my incorrect shot in the dark at least helped :)  And
thanks for posting the solution.  That's good to have in the archives.
Since your not running mDNSResponder you can also shut down nifd if you
haven't already.  One less thing running on  your system :)

Wayne Steenburg