Re: howto

Matthew Miller wrote:

On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 04:31:50PM -0400, Jorge Fábregas wrote:

On Saturday 27 November 2004 7:58 pm, Al Farabi wrote:

But, What I would like to do is to not install something I do not like
or need.

Then do a CUSTOM install. I always do this. You're going to spend a couple of minutes (it usually takes me more than 20 minutes) browsing packages and selecting ONLY THOSE that I want to install. No big deal really.

Well, except Custom doesn't really give you quite that flexibility. I find
it's better [1] to do a simple quick install and then use something like
Synaptic to go through what's there and what's available afterwards.

Indeed. "Custom" leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe they need a "Custom - Expert" option where you could then view all the packages as you can in synaptic and then pick and choose.

SUSE does this.  I think Mandrake does as well.

I really missed that option. I'd rather not have to tinker right after the install. I'd like it right the first time....

Scott