Re: Q as to Root v other login

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 21:03, Scott wrote:
> Scot L. Harris wrote:
>
> >  Other than that there are
> >some log files you will want to review on a regular basis but then you
> >should have roots email redirected to your user account so you can get
> >the logwatch reports.
> >

> However....
>
> I took me two weeks to figure out that the reason I wasn't getting those
> emails was because they were being sent to root and not forwarded.
> Thankfully I eventually membered the .forward file and set it up.
>
> SUSE did this for me by default on install.  Fedora should too.  I'm
> sure I'm not the only one who was ignorant enough not to know (or
> remember) that I needed this extra step.
>
> Scott

Not sure how you learn this except on lists like this.  Every admin
should review roots email and the log files on their systems on a
regular basis.  Redirecting root email to a common user account that is
used all the time is one way to do this.  For larger shops with hundreds
of systems use of management systems like HP openview, nagios, opennms,
bigbrother, and others lets a group of admins take care of this stuff.
For a home LAN you don't normally need to utilize such tools.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

Noone ever built a statue to a critic.