Re: Q as to Root v other login

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 18:12, Terry R. Grier wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have FC3 on my laptop. I will be the only one using it in a personal/home
> setting.
>
> I made a log in for myself.
> SHould I just log in as ROOT is it better procedure to login as my user name?

It is always recommended that you utilize the least privileges you can
to get the job done.  So use a personal account and when needed use su
or sudo to elevate your privileges temporarily when needed.  Once you
have your system configured and packages installed there are very few
things you need root access for.  About the only thing you may need on a
regular basis is when you run yum or up2date.  Other than that there are
some log files you will want to review on a regular basis but then you
should have roots email redirected to your user account so you can get
the logwatch reports.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

"Give me enough medals, and I'll win any war."
		-- Napoleon