Re: Acrobat Reader plugin on FC3

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, Matthew Miller wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 11:42:20AM -0500, fredex wrote:
> > So, why would someone, when re-packaging for fedora, split up the
> > package like that, when the original package isn't split?
>
> Personally, I hate the acrobat plugin. I have no need to have other apps
> running inside my browser window -- just send me the PDF, and I'll look at
> it in the appropriate application.

Exactly, as long as browsers do not give you the flexibility to choose one
plugin over another, I have to make sure that people can install one
without the other.

In fact, I prefer the mozilla-bonobo plugin with ggv over the acroread
plugin, but I cannot make mozilla/firefox understand.

PS You might wonder why this flexibility is a task for the browser. But
there's a good chance that you want mplayer for wmv files, but eg. not
mp3's. Or you want .doc files to be handles by openoffice (not abiword via
mozilla-bonobo) but excel files via gnumeric. I'm sure normal people
couldn't care less as long as it works, but often that's the problem :)))

--   dag wieers,  dag@xxxxxxxxxx,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --