Re: FC3 Freezes Every Day

On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 03:48, Matt Nuzum wrote:
> I am using the default nv driver.  I too am using a Sony Vaio.  Also,
> this happens while I'm working and I'm not doing anything special.
>
> Realy, my question is how can I diagnose what happened to cause the
> crash.  I hear a moment (3 seconds or so) of intense disk activity
> right before the freeze so I think something is being logged (similar
> to XP Dumplog).
>
> Is there some tool I can use to explore what happened before the
> freeze? I've looked at dmesg but it seems to start over with the
> reboot.

Chances are low you'll get decent info out of it. Once the system
"freezes", it'll not write out cached data to the disk any more. If your
system was busy just before the crash, your logged data (if any) is
likely not on the disk, at least not fully. Beyond, a "freeze" usually
doesn't create a log entry.

But you can give it a try. First, turn off write-behind caching (hdparm
if I recall correctly). Then, when the crash occurs, note the exact
time. Then reboot from a live-CD, e.g. Knoppix, and search your disk for
any file which was modified @ the time of the crash (man find). I'd
focus on /var/log/ for that.

And, btw, please don't top-post to this list. Brings the topic out of
context...

--
HaJo Schatz <hajo@xxxxxxxx>
http://www.HaJo.Net