Re: kernel-2.6.9-1.6_FC2 boot failure where kernel-2.6.9-1.3_FC2 works

Ricardo Veguilla wrote:
Well, if I were talking about a Linux dedicated drive (and I guess you
mean dedicated to a particular linux distribution) why would I need to
change anything? Obviously if you are dealing with an static setup,
there is no need for labels. When you start changing stuff and moving it
around is when labels become really useful, I have a linux dedicated
drive with several linux distributions in different partitions and using
labels really simplifies working with them.

Than your case is rather specific case and you belong to group of, hm, let be generous here, maybe 0.001% of total Linux population? Yeah, I know, now there will be 10 more guys and girls arguing that there's more of you, but if you folk are loud, it still doesn't mean there's more than 0.001% of you out there. Not to mention that people who do have multiple distros installed are usually above average users that should be capable of organizing things so that they can live perfectly well without use of labels. Actually, I do belong to this very same 0.001% group. And I don't use labels. I don't have any need for them :-P. If they were obsoleted and completely removed one day in the future, I wouldn't even notice.

Generic case would be what most people use. Either one distribution on dedicated disk (mostly servers), or one disk shared between single Windoze partition and single Linux distro (mostly home machines, some work PCs), or two disks one for single Windblows version one for single Linux distro (more rare case of home PCs and work PCs category). People who don't fall to any of those categories are rather rare. For most people (out of those who noticed there's such thing as labels), not using labels (in the form they exist today) would simplify things in their lives. And having persistent device names (for example, like those on Solaris) in Linux, would solve most common problems with changing device names (without creating new problems, like labels do).

--
Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic@xxxxxx>    Pollard Banknote Limited