Re: kernel-2.6.9-1.6_FC2 boot failure where kernel-2.6.9-1.3_FC2 works

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:

Matthew Miller wrote:

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 12:05:24PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:

[more snipping]

Using "root=/dev/hda2" works around the problem. Odd.

I've always hated that label thing. It is a bandaid that attempts to solve one solvable problem (changing disk device names) by creating another unsolvable problem (non-uniq labels).

If you ever change your hardware configuration (how often does that happen? once every couple of years?

Let me see, everytime a new a new Fedora, Suse, Slackware ( and now Ubuntu too) is released.

plus hd* names do not change when you add/remove disks)

Really? and when you add/remove partitions?

you can always easily edit lilo.conf and fstab by booting into rescue mode.

So its much easier to boot in rescue mode to fix lilo.conf and fstab than to boot into rescue mode to fix the label?

That will also save you huge amount of grief if you ever connect additional disk to your box that already contains file system with "LABEL=/"

Now I must ask, how often does that happen?

or /var or /usr (disk from another box, that you want to reuse, or simply repair something on it and return it to original box). Statistics say that in such case you should have 50% chance of mounting the right partitions during boot. However, in my experience, in 99% of such cases, Linux mounts wrong partitions if you use labels in fstab.

This doesn't solve the original problems of labels not working. But IMHO, labels were bad idea to begin with, so I can't say I feel sorry for seeing them not working ;-)

The only problem I have encountered with using labels is a LVM2 related bug. Apart from that, they work perfectly in my experience.

Regards,
Ricardo Veguilla