Re: yum gripes (Was: Re: yum vs. apt)

On 11/24/2004 04:14:29 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
<posted & mailed>

Paul Howarth wrote:

> Since I have multiple machines to maintain, I have my own mirror of
the
> updates repository and I point yum at that rather than have each
machine
> download individually off the Internet.

How exactly do you do this?
Ie what commands do you give?

I use lftp to mirror and vsftpd to serve (you can also use nfs or http to serve)

to mirror a repository:

lftp -e 'mirror -e && exit' http://path/to/mirror

The first -e tells lftp to execute the command 'mirror -e && exit' when it connects.

mirror -e

tells lftp to mirror the directory deleteting local files that are no longer on the server - so that if an rpm is replaced by a newer version, the older version gets removed (assuming the mirror removes it)

The && exit tells lftp to exit when it is done.

I run that from the crontab during the night when I am sleeping.

-=-
The reason I use vsftpd for my local yum mirror is /dev/random personal choice. Using apache would work just as well. I don't want to run nfs - there's no need to have the updates mounted and available all the time, if I was already running an nfs that everybody mounted then I would probably piggyback the yum server on that.

I start vsftpd from xintetd on my yum serving machine (an iMac running PPC FC3Test2) - that's just out of habit, it seems that fedora provides an init script for starting it, but I honestly did not know that when I set it up in xinetd - and I'm curious as to what the advanatages of starting it from an init script are.

But anyway - lftp is the tool for mirroring, serving can be accomplished via ftp,httpd,nfs