Re: DVD Drive Hang

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 23:14:32 +0800, Colin Charles <lists@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, what does a ps aux report?

I'll check next time it happens.

> Most likely the dvd app is in D state, waiting for some I/O to happen.
> Sadly, not much can be done when the process is waiting for I/O, short
> of giving it a jolt (unplugging maybe ;0) )

I've tried that.  It seemed the "perfect" fix (where "perfect"
includes taking the cover off the system) the first time.  The second
time it seems to have tripped some protective circuit on the MB,
'cause the system shut off, but the power light stayed on, and it
wouldn't start up 'til I unplugged the AC for a minute.  The third
time it just locked the system up.  I decided that was enough of that.
 (Yes, I'm a slow learner.)

Using the "paper clip eject" seems to help a bit, but not all
together.  And it seems bad for the drive and is definitely bad for
the discs.

-Peter