Re: yum error during FC2 -> FC3 upgrade

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 13:45 -0600, Satish Balay wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004, Zed Lopez wrote:
>
> > --> Processing Conflict: udev conflicts kernel< 0:2.6
>
> >From http://linux.duke.edu/~skvidal/misc/fc2-fc3-update-with-yum.txt
>
> ---
> - run rpm -q kernel kernel-smp
>   compare the results to the kernel you are running (uname -r).
>   run 'rpm -e' for each of the kernels that you are not using
>    ex:
>     rpm -e kernel-2.6.5-1.358 kernel-smp-2.6.5-1.358
> ---
>
> Perhaps the above will help

Wanted to try a yum upgrade on a non-critical machine just for the
experience.  I usually use (and would generally recommend) an anaconda
fresh install, or sometimes upgrade, from CD or network.

Worked OK , but found a few variations to the above were necessary (or
desirable :-). Had to update some additional rpms in advance to fix
dependencies, and fix up yum and up2date config files.

Here's my edited version of Seth Vidal's update procedure.  YMMV.

Phil

Upgrading from Fedora Core 2 to Fedora Core 3 via Yum:

In general, if you're not cramped for space/time/something you should
use anaconda to upgrade. You'll find you come out with a much more
reliable upgrade process and much less pain. However, if you'd like
to try to upgrade the whole system via yum you should follow these
instructions.

Before you start it would be a good idea to do the following:
- BACKUP YOUR DATA

- run
  # rpm -q kernel kernel-smp

- compare the results to the kernel you are running (uname -r).

- run 'rpm -e' for each of the kernels that you are not using
   ex:
   # rpm -e kernel-2.6.5-1.358 kernel-smp-2.6.5-1.358

   This will make things a lot easier on you, trust me, and it frees
   up a HUGE amount of disk space.

- clean up your yum dirs:
  # yum clean all

- download yum from the fedora core 3 tree and update it:
  # rpm -Uvh yum-2.1.11-3.noarch.rpm
  # cd /etc ; mv yum.conf yum.conf.fc2 ; mv yum.conf.rpmnew yum.conf

- if desired, edit fedora.repo and fedora-updates.repo /etc/yum.repos.d
  to configure for nearby mirrors (consult yum.conf.fc2 from above)

- download fedora-release (and if installed up2date and up2date-gnome)
  from the fedora core 3 tree and update:

  # rpm -Uvh fedora-release-3-8.i386.rpm
  or
  # rpm -Uvh fedora-release-3-8.i386.rpm up2date-4.3.47-5.i386.rpm \
    up2date-gnome-4.3.47-5.i386.rpm
  # cd /etc/sysconfig/rhn
  # mv sources sources.fc2
  # mv sources.rpmnew sources
  edit sources as desired, preferably to match yum repos

- run a yum list updates to get the metadata and make sure everything is
  working:
  # yum list updates
  you should see a lot of packages from that output.

- Now you're ready to run the update:
  (may want to first do "telinit 3" from a virtual console if running
  GUI login - runlevel 5.  Don't like upgrading X while running X)
  # yum upgrade

- Let yum do it's thing (confirming when prompted, of course).

- For gnome users you will want to run:
  # yum groupupdate "GNOME Desktop Environment"
  to get the latest set of packages for GNOME.

- Then reboot your system and make sure you select the new kernel as the
  default.

Good luck!