Re: Sendmail offline queuing

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 09:00, Neil Marjoram wrote:
> Does anyone know if it is possible to control the way sendmail queues
> messages whilst offline?
>
> I have a user that uses sendmail on his laptop, I understand that when
> the laptop rejoins the network messages are delivered in reverse order
> as in a stack type of queue. This has caused some confusion with
> recipients when email arrives in reverse order. The user has asked me to
> check to see if it possible to force sendmail to deliver these messages
> in the order that he wrote them.

I don't think there are any options in sendmail to do what you want.  As
far as I know when a message is queued by sendmail I believe it is first
in first out, not first in last out.

Also this may not be a sendmail problem.  Most clients utilize SMTP to
send messages.  Unless the laptop is configured with a full blown MTA
(which is not normally the case) the messages should reside in the users
email client outbox waiting for delivery.  Depending on the client it
may use a first in last out method but I kind of doubt that also.

What is probably happening is when the outbox is flushed of messages
they are all time stamped the same or very close (in the same minute).
The recipient's mail client looks at the date on the message and tries
to order them appropriately.  In some cases this may result in messages
appearing out of order.

Personally I have most of my email folders set to order messages based
on received date instead of sent date.  I have found that that keeps
things mostly in the correct order.  It also eliminates problems when
people have their system clock set wrong and messages show up way in the
past or in the future.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

Perhaps the world's second worst crime is boredom.  The first is being a bore.
		-- Cecil Beaton