Re: FC3: Mesa and 'nvidia' driver

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 01:01:17PM +0000, Colin J Thomson wrote:

> I find this interesting, I have never had to remove *any* libGL rpm to get
> nvidia's driver to run on my system rh8/fc1/2 and the driver seems to do a
> good job backing up the original libGL files..

Indeed the nvidia driver install in the past (and presumably now too)
did(does) a good job of removing/backing up the original libGl files.

But I asked the question because I seem to remember that about
a year (or longer ?) ago (FC1/FC2) there were problems with this and
advice was given on the lists to first remove the original libGl files first.

I can't remember what caused the problem but I can remember a lot
of discussion about this and Mike Harris was discussing packaging
the Fedora file so that the problem wouldn't occur anymore.

I can't remember what happened after that and I stopped using the
nvidia driver because the nv driver was good enough for my purposes.

(But now I have 'ugly' font rendering with the nv driver on an
 LCD DVI flatpanel and I would like to see if the nvidia driver does
 any better).

Alexander