Re: FC3: Mesa and 'nvidia' driver

On Tuesday 23 Nov 2004 12:49, Neal D. Becker wrote:
> Alexander Volovics wrote:
> >>
> >> The NVidia driver package comes with it's own GL libraries. I would
> >> physically uninstall the Mesa-libGL RPM and reinstall it with switch
> >> "--justdb". So RPM thinks it is installed and you are not annoyed by
> >> future RPM actions that the missing package fails in dependency. So did
> >> I.
> >
> > Thanks for the reply. I will use the neat "--justdb" trick too.
> >
> > Alexander
>
> But if rpm thinks it's installed, then it will try to install updates.  If
> you enable automatic nightly yum it will overwrite the NVidia version.
>
> You can always re-install the NVidia manually to fix this, but it is
> annoying.  Any better solution welcome.

I find this interesting, I have never had to remove *any* libGL rpm to get
nvidia's driver to run on my system rh8/fc1/2 and the driver seems to do a
good job backing up the original libGL files..

If there is an upgrade to xorg, I usually uninstall nvidia's driver do the
update to xorg and resinstall nvidia's driver..

[colinjt@localhost colinjt]$ rpm -qa|grep libGL
xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL-6.7.0-10
xorg-x11-Mesa-libGLU-6.7.0-10

Interested in any views,

Colin
--
Fedora Core 2, Custom Built Kernel 2.6.9-ck3
KDE-Redhat-3.3.1-4.1.2.kde