vsftp + root blank password

I'm aware this is insecure, the machines in question are on an
isolated test network. Passwords just get in the way.

I just upgraded to FC3 from RH7.2. I've figured out how to get telnet
to allow root logins, but vsftpd is being stubborn.

/etc/vsftpd.ftpusers and /etc/vsftpd.user_list have both had root
excised.

I've tried sprinkling nullok at various points in the /etc/pam.d files
to no avail.

/etc/securetty lists vc/1-12, tty1-12 and pts/1-12.

I've searched dejagoogle and the web, but nothing helpful.

I've gone over the vsftpd source, but it just relies on pam, and thus
is no help.

If someone could point me at a howto or similar, I'd appreciate it.

..Stu