Help! Having a crisis here

Hi,
I have a bit of a problem.
Something went wrong with my laptop. Sudden I could not login anymore. KDM
kept reporting dat it had some kind of error (A critical error occurred.
Please look at KDM's logfile(s) for more information or contact your system
administrator.) and I could not login anymore. However, when I try to login
over for instance ssh, I cannot either. So I think it is probably not a
problem with KDM, but with the login. I cannot login under my normal user or
under the root.
Do you have any idea how to get in and what steps to check what exactly went
wrong and how to fix it?
I think something went wrong with some files on my system, since I had some
problems with the disk also, however when I check the disk now, it's clean.
It could be that login files were damaged or something.

It also tried using Knoppix to get on the system, which works and I can read
the kdm.log file under /var/log, but I cannot find any useful information
there, except for some keyboard error, but that is probably not it.

Please help, thanks,
Jeroen