Re: Recommended sizes for file systems

On Tuesday 23 November 2004 09:37, Ed Wilts, RHCE wrote:
> Nobody said that you couldn't have a combination of a swap partition and
> a swap file.  In fact, I ended up having to do this not that long ago
> for reasons that I can't get into but the system ran fine with one of each.

That is true, I';ve done it too (et least, I've had multiple swap fils) when I
discovered what a hog rsync can be.

> If it was me in your situation, I'd leave it be with 1GB swap and 1.5GB
> ram.  If you run into problems down the road, you can always add a 2GB
> swap file but unless you really, really beat on it, you're going to have
> a tough time filling all the memory and swap.  Having a 1GB swap file or
> partition hanging around doesn't seem like much of a waste of disk space
> whe

Ah, but the whole point of getting more RAM would be to eliminate swap. Swap
is what you use when you can't afford enough RAM or your system simply
doesn't support enough.

Any uses of Intel 81x or BX chipsets here? They likely will understand: 512 Mb
is not enough to support my bad habits.

--
Cheers
John