Re: Putting avi and mpeg movies into a single VCD

A. Lanza wrote:
I have an avi movie about 735 MB. in size and i'd like to convert it to
vcd format and burn it into a single CD.

I've known that i can use tools like transcode, mplex and vcdimage... I
started transcoding the movie to SVCD format with transcode, and got two
files that, altogether, are larger in size than the original avi file.
When i use mplex in the next step limiting the size of the result file
to 700 MB. to fit a single CD, i get an error message telling that the
files are too large for this.

I guess i have to transcode the original file in a way that i get a
smaller result files, but i have not been able to do it.

I would appreciate some help.

TIA,

Alf

I don't know if this will work.

Looking at the situation, can you lower the original quality and use mencoder to convert. I am not that familiar with VCD but I have been looking at shrinking some different videos down. If the resolution is lowered a few %, maybe the VCD encoding will be able to compress it to a size that fits.

I have also found that if you are going to burn close to the limits of a CD-R, do it at a very low speed. I made a couple of cup holders a few weeks ago that were at the 700meg size. At 2X I could burn working copies. At anything higher, they were trash. I used K3b to burn them.

--
Robin Laing

In my experience, CD-Rs only hold 80 minutes of VCD data. The size of the file itself is no matter. So long as the VCD (MPEG-II format i believe) is only 80 minutes long. There are several web pages available that show how to burn a DVD to a VCD. Look into those, and apply the ideas to your problem.

Burn speed should be limited to < 8x, and high quality music cds tend to work best in the dvd player.

Thanks,

Jay Hidalgo