Re: KMail - can I collect mail from machine on LAN?

On Monday 22 Nov 2004 13:00, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I have a small home LAN.
> I get my email by uucp through my college.
> At present I collect this mail on my laptop;
> but I would prefer to collect it on my desktop,
> and then read it on my laptop (through WiFi).
>
> My question is: I am running KMail on my laptop.
> Currently I look for mail in /var/spool/mail .
> Is there any way I could look for mail on my desktop,
> ie on a remote machine,
> without running an IMAP server or something like that
> on the desktop?
>
> I had hoped I could say (in KMail=>Settings=>Network=>Receiving)
> that I was receiving mail locally,
> but then give a remote address on my LAN,
> but that doesn't appear to be possible.
>
> Is there some general programming technique (like named pipes)
> which would allow a remote address to appear to be local?
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received.
> If I do have to run a mail server on my desktop,
> what is the best one, eg IMAP or POP3?
>
> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail (<80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
> tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
I@m making an assumption here ...

That you do NOT download mail onto the laptop in any other way.

If thats the case, why not ...

write a short script that will scp the contents of /var/spool/mail from
the desktop to the laptop, changing owner/group guids if neccesary,
whenever you click on your Email program icon, then actually RUN the
email program ... i.e.

<start>
#scp -r desktop://var/spool/mail /var/spool mail
#kmail&
<end>

then simply read the mail from the maildir.

--
Tony Dietrich