Volume Control Applet - FC3

I've lost my volume control on my panel, and had a problem with
eggcups.
I've resolved the problem with eggcups by entering the command below
given
to me by apd:
 su -c /etc/cron.daily/prelink

When I try to add the volume control to my panel, the following
question
pops up:

-------------------
The "Volume Control" applet appears to have died unexpectedly.

Do you want to reload this applet?

(If you choose not to reload it at this time you can always add it by
right
clicking on the panel and clicking on the "Add to Panel" submenu)
SELECT NO
or YES.
------------------

I select YES, and the following question pops up:

------------------
The panel encountered a problem while loading
"OAFIID:GNOME_MixerApplet".
Details: Unknown CORBA exception id:
'IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0'

Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration? Don't
Delete or

I selected Delete.
This problem may have arisen because I turned off certain services
that were
required.   So, what can I do from here to resolve this?