Putting avi and mpeg movies into a single VCD

I have an avi movie about 735 MB. in size and i'd like to convert it to
vcd format and burn it into a single CD.

I've known that i can use tools like transcode, mplex and vcdimage... I
started transcoding the movie to SVCD format with transcode, and got two
files that, altogether, are larger in size than the original avi file.
When i use mplex in the next step limiting the size of the result file
to 700 MB. to fit a single CD, i get an error message telling that the
files are too large for this.

I guess i have to transcode the original file in a way that i get a
smaller result files, but i have not been able to do it.

I would appreciate some help.

TIA,

Alf