Re: Utilities for checking Xerox Printers

On Monday 22 November 2004 00:49, James McKenzie wrote:
>I know that there are utilities for the Epson "Ink Squirters", but
> are there utilities for the Xerox printers based on the Lexmark
> print engine (in my case Z51 engine)?
>
>Thanks folks.

While I am not a Lexmark expert by any means James, given their
attitude regarding their IP, I'd be surpised if there was an mtink
workalike for Lexmark printers that ran under linux.  If one were to
be written they would probably sue the author for IP theft.  The last
time I tangled with them, the warranty on the product was canceled
instantly when they heard the word linux in the conversation.  At
that point, they lost even the infamous snowballs chance in **!! of
ever selling me one personally.  That was some 6 years ago and one of
their better $1500+ laser units.  We replaced it with an HP-4050, and
HP had no problems with what we drove it with.

Epson seems to support us (linux users and coders) well enough that
the linux drivers can give better output that the windows drivers do.
HP may also be helping kinux in some small way.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)