Re: How to read Evolution's messages with Mutt.

On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 20:44 -0200, Vinicius wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use Evolution 2.0.2 and would like to use Mutt to read the messages in
> the Evolution. Is there a way to do this, please?

In your home directory, there is a .evolution directory that has all
your evolution data. From there go to mail/local and you will see things
like Drafts, Inbox, Outbox, and Sent. The files with no ".<something>"
on them are the mbox files that can be read with a regular mail client
program. And if you have defined any folders subordinate to those
folders, you will see a "<Name>.sbd" directory and so on if you have
nested folders.

So, for instance you can use:

mutt -f ~/.evolution/mail/local/Inbox

to get to your inbox. Please note, however, that if you go deleting
messages with mutt you will get messages from Evolution complaining
about not being able to sync. It keeps a summary of the mbox and doesn't
seem to like other programs messing with it. If you do get into trouble
with Evolution not being able to sync, I have found that deleting the
meta-data files will fix it. And I would suggest you have backups before
doing anything very radical. To be really safe, you could copy the mbox
you want to read to a temporary directory and open it from there.

The way I typically use mutt is just for reading, and I will exit with
an "x" so it doesn't save any changes. And it can be nice to have it
distinguish between new and old messages.

--
C. Linus Hicks <lhicks@xxxxxxxxx>