Re: acpi_power_off called .... but does not shut down

James Wilkinson wrote:
Jim Cornette wrote:

I hope that other acpi items are not effected as well. I would hate for thermal runaway to kill the box because of other broken items within acpi.

AFAIK the mechanisms that throttle or power down processors when they
get too hot are *not* dependent on ACPI.

This is precisely because processors will be expected to run without
ACPI, but there is never going to be a situation where you *want* your
processor to burn out [1]. So the mechanisms are supposed to Just Work,
without software support.

James.

[1] Unless Tom's Hardware want to make another video...

Looking around in the /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0 directory, I have this information regarding the CPU. I have one of those laptops that need acpi in order to even complete a booting of the system. My processor runs cooler with acpi enabled in linux. In the occasional XP boots (Creative Nomad Jukebox loading of music), the system runs very hot. When testing the Severn beta, this box used to run as hot as XP, within the earlier development days. Some change caused the temp to drop several degrees C. This might be the processor speed dropping. I don't know enough about all of these acpi and cpuspeed effects. I guess holding the power button down to shut off the system is a better option for me now. Hopefully, they will straighten out the kernel or whatever controls power management for acpi active systems.

processor id: 0
acpi id: 0
bus mastering control: yes
power management: yes
throttling control: no
limit interface: no
<not supported>
active state: C2
default state: C1
bus master activity: 00000000
states:
C1: promotion[C2] demotion[--] latency[000] usage[00979650] *C2: promotion[--] demotion[C1] latency[100] usage[03658778] C3: <not supported>
<not supported>

-- Common sense is the most evenly distributed quantity in the world. Everyone thinks he has enough. -- Descartes, 1637